Financing Your Education


Financing Your Education

Tuition and Fees

Tuition for the 2021-2022 academic year is $2,213 per graduate credit hour. Graduate Cost of Attendance can be found here.

Students enrolled in joint degree programs may incur higher tuition costs. Tuition rates are subject to change according to the University of Miami Board of Trustees. Full details on tuition and fees can be found here.

Department of Public Health Sciences Scholarship Program

All MPH and MSPH students matriculating in the Spring 2022 and Fall 2022 semesters completing a 45-credit degree program will receive up to 20% in tuition scholarship awards. Contact the Office of Admissions for more information.

Scholarships are also available for students pursuing a MS in Biostatistics and MS in Prevention Science and Community Health and research fellowships are available for students pursuing a MS in Climate and Health.

Student Work Study

Many graduate students work part-time to help support their education. Student positions are paid an hourly rate and students may work up to 20 hours per week. Student positions range from administrative to research assistant opportunities within the Department of Public Health Sciences, but opportunities are also available throughout the University of Miami. Teaching assistant positions are paid a stipend each semester and professors select their teaching assistants based on an applicants’ course performance.

Positions are announced to all students as opportunities become available, and students can search for student employment opportunities on JobX. For more information, please visit the Office of Student Employment or contact Megan Garber, Director of Career and Professional Development and the student employment liaison for the Department of Public Health Sciences.

Other Departmental Support

We offer funding to support students in their research, capstone and thesis experiences, and international public health projects through Public Health Travel Awards and Capstone or Thesis Project Awards.

Support for the Certified Public Health (CPH) Exam is offered.

External Scholarship Opportunities

Click on the links below to find helpful information about obtaining a scholarship and a list of external funding sources for prospective students of public health.

International Student Support

International students who do not have permanent residency in the United States should contact their local EducationUSA Advising Center for resources specific to your nationality.

Office of Financial Assistance

The Office of Financial Assistance is responsible for administering federal financial assistance for U.S. citizens and permanent residents. Students must complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) application to be considered for financial assistance. Graduate students must accept their offer of admission and register for classes prior to receiving their financial assistance package. Graduate students are packaged in mid-summer. Contact 'Canes Central directly at (305) 284-IBIS for application forms and deadlines.

Applying for Aid as a Graduate Professional

1. Apply through SOPHAS as a degree-seeking student.

2. Complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)

a. Federal School Code is 001536.

b. Create an FSA ID and Password at

c. FAFSA may be completed as early as October 1.

3. Accept/Decline Aid in CaneLink.

a. Students will be awarded financial aid based on an estimated full-time cost of attendance assuming the student will be enrolled full time (enrollment of 9 credit hours). Before the start of the term the Office of Financial Assistance and Employment will adjust each student’s Cost of Attendance based on their actual tuition charges and if necessary reduce their financial aid.

b. An increase in enrollment may require additional funding. Please submit requests to

4. Complete Master Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling for both the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan and the Graduate PLUS Loan before loan funds can be disbursed. 

  • Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans are federal student loans for eligible students to help cover the cost of higher education. These loans are available to most graduate students with a maximum per year limit of $20,500.
  • Graduate PLUS Loans are federal loans that graduate or professional degree students and parents of dependent undergraduate students can use to help pay education expenses. These loans are available to eligible borrowers and are based on the credit score of the student and if applicable, their co-signer(s). PLUS loans can pay for any unmet need (tuition and living expenses).

Repayment Plans

  • Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program is intended to encourage individuals to enter and continue to work full-time in public service jobs. Under this program, borrowers may qualify for forgiveness of the remaining balance of their Direct Loans after they have made 120 qualifying payments on those loans while employed full time by certain public service employers. Many public health careers qualify for this program. For more information, visit this website: Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program
  • Pay As You Earn Repayment Plan helps keep your monthly student loan payments affordable and usually has the lowest monthly payment amount of the repayment plans that are based on your income. For more information visit this website: Pay As You Earn