Frequently Asked Questions

For easy access, we've gathered responses to commonly asked questions. Choose your topic below, and revisit regularly for updates as we consistently refresh these pages with the latest information and address new inquiries.


Open All Tabs

Admissions Process

Open All Tabs

International Applicants

Open All Tabs
  • Which transcript evaluation services does the University of Miami accept?

    Non-U.S. transcripts are evaluated exclusively through the World Education Service (WES) using the ICAP Course-by-Course evaluation service.

  • Do I need to send transcripts to the University of Miami as well as to SOPHAS?

    Yes. All international applicants are required to mail an additional complete set of all official transcripts, mark sheets, and a photocopy of the diploma(s), with English translation when applicable, at the time of acceptance to:

    University of Miami
    Department of Public Health Sciences
    Office of Admissions
    1120 N.W. 14 Street
    Room 905, R-669
    Miami, FL 33136

  • What are the funding requirements for international students?

    View the International Graduate Student Cost for details.

  • How do I get an I-20 from ISSS?

    The Office of Admissions will be the liaison between you and International Student and Scholar Services. As an international student you must provide documentation so that we can issue an F-1 visa for you to enter the United States.

    Required documents include:

    • Signed acceptance letter
    • Original official transcripts from all institutions attended
    • Bank letter with Student Financial Responsibility Form and/or Financial Guarantee
    • Copy of your passport photo page (and any dependents if applicable)
              Name on the SOPHAS application must match the name on your passport
    • F-1/J-1 Visa Transfer Form is required of international students who hold a current and valid student visa at another institution

  • Is Optional Practical Training (OPT) available?

    Yes. OPT or work authorization available to international students who have been in valid F-1 status for at least three consecutive quarters and who plan to seek employment in the U.S. in their field of study is available. In addition, students with STEM majors listed on their I-20 at the time of their Initial OPT application may be eligible for up to an additional 24 months of OPT in addition to the regular 12 months of OPT.

Financial Aid

Open All Tabs